Friday, September 20, 2013

Too sheer? No problem.

Good afternoon y'all!...I feel jacked up today, throat kinda scratchy...like the beginning of a cold...I thought it was allergies at first (because that is usually what plagues me) but when my throat started up I knew it wasn't allergies....blahhhh.....I'm all right though....
Now yesterday I finished my "Date Dress"; and it fits perfectly by the way...but its a little on the sheer side...Ever since my last post, I'd been wondering what kind of fabric it was....well I grabbed my Hancock receipt and it a 100% polyester; made in India....It is very soft and was easy to work with...But when I tried it on I felt it was a little too "fast-tailed" for me....So I got to thinking and came up with: Make yourself a half slip!....and of course it was almost 1 am when I got this brilliant idea smh.....
I started reminiscing about how my Mama used to dress me up for outings or church and I had petticoats, full and half slips, and stockings....She made sure I knew how to be a little lady and these undergarments were part of being one.....I used to actually love how I looked with my undergarments on as well as my pretty dresses...they were just so cute and feminine.....When I wore my petticoats you know I had to spin around so it could twirl....and my Mama had the prettiest slips and pantyhose.....Y'all remember the L'eggs egg?...ahhhh the good ole' days....I loved my Mama...one of these days I may dedicate a blog post to my beloved parents; may they rest peacefully....
I went in my sewing room and initially looked for "slip" fabric...the ones I had in my stash had bold prints on them and I felt they wouldn't look good under my dress; like too busy you know?...then I remembered I had the sheerest seersucker fabric (seersucker fabric is usually on the thicker side) I had ever seen in my stash...I mean its extremely thin...soooo perfect for my project!...I grabbed it up and started cutting...(I didn't use a pattern, just my noggin)...You know I have to make it "old school" and put some vintage lace at the waist and the hem....It even matches the dress but I didn't do that on purpose....I just used my measurements and whipped it up....its a nice addition I tell ya' what! (in my Hank Hill voice) LOL!....I always say raunchy is NOT sexy....Everything doesn't have to hang out and everywhere to be beautiful....Remember that episode of Martin when he told Gina "I like my women classy, not showing all the assy!"... bahahahahahaha!!!  (you wanna watch Martin now huh?)Talk to you good people soon!
~~MsKRS~~

vintage, lacy hem....

my new slip...see how sheer this fabric is...I was going to make a shirt but there wasn't enough yardage....but it was more than enough to make myself a slip....

Y'all remember these?...they had to have the sheer toe so you could still wear open-toe heels...and control top to control your gutline, active support to hold everything! LOL! old school goodness....

old school slip pattern....I wish I had this one....maybe I'll find one on my thrifting trips.....(fingers crossed)... aren't they just so pretty?...but I must confess, when the "slip dress" was trending I did NOT like the it...a slip is an undergarment not a dress to sip tea smh...reason #15,343 why I don't do trendy.... 




No comments:

Post a Comment