Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Blazer + Shorts ensemble = Butterick and Simplicity

Good afternoon my good people!...I know, I know I said I was going to try and post something sewing or sewing related every day on my blog but life happens and so does the weekend...Forgive me? ;)...I know you do and thank you!
Well I finally finished my blazer jacket and shorts ensemble I had been stalking on Pinterest...I don't care for the "fashion" folks wear nowadays...and the majority of it I didn't like when it was introduced to me the first time...like leg warmers and tights...Ummmmm NO, just NO....but that blazer and jacket thing is just too cute...I didn't care for the "panty shorts" the blazer is usually paired with; at least that's what I call 'em because they are waaaaayyyy to short to be considered anything else...but I did like the matching blazer and short outfits I saw so I took to my stash....Now I had some fabric I was going to use for a regular blazer jacket but of course my life is NEVER regular sooooo...there is always a twist and my sewing is no exception....I read the back of the blazer jacket pattern I'd just copped and it called for knit!...had the stretch gauge and everything!...I didn't think about making a blazer out of knit fabric but I learned a while ago that if the pattern says use knit, you had better use knit!...
I chose a  floral brown and green knit fabric that worked like a charm for both pieces....I made Butterick #B5926 View A for my jacket and Simplicity #1617 for my shorts....I just so happened to have bought both of them right before my obsession for the ensemble started...
This set is two firsts for me; I had never made a jacket or shorts/pants....They came together pretty easily...I got to practice my button and buttonholes again, I had to attach two....I liked making this jacket and I know I'll make several more just because they fit so well...Sometimes I measure and sometimes I don't...the patterns usually fit without fitting issues; if they are too big I take them in and if they are too small I give the garment I make to my babygirl....WIN, WIN.....I did super dee duper (in my Barney voice; my nephew used to love Barney when he was a little tike) while other folks seem to have problems with them....All I can say is pin, pin, pin.....it may look a little compulsive but the sleeve will stay where you put it really nicely....
I went all designer on the shorts too and put some ruffles on the back...I just wanted an excuse to try ruffles and it worked perfectly too...I had to add some MsKRS kinda designer effect...I also had to take my shorts out a bit in the booty area....I couldn't be walking around all day with a "Murphy" feeling uncomfortable! hahahahaha!....after I did that they fit like a glove....I also added a couple inches to the shorts; they were a little too short for me originally...I eliminated all that topstitching on my jacket and shorts too because it just seemed like the fabric was busy enough....
Ask me about my bag, tank top, and necklace if you're interested because I'm rambling again...LOL...talk to you good folks soon....Have you been stalking a look lately?...What about the new Fall/Winter sewing stuff?...Whadaya think; share with me!...Pictures now....
~~MsKRS~~








2 comments:

  1. Wow these look fantastic! I love the entire outfit such a good combination. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!...I had fun making these two!...I'm debating on if I should make another set!...I appreciate your comment Erin! (hearts and smiles)

    ReplyDelete