Saturday, July 4, 2015

Butterick beauty in the form of a sundress

Good afternoon everybody!...I've been toiling away in my sewing room lately; right on through the pain...I find that my sewing is good therapy....lets me move around just enough not to over-do it but just enough to get me going so I don't "stove up"....My Bigmama and other more mature relatives used to say that when it was hard for them to move; like if their body was sore....I'm getting better each day though....
I've made a bag set (super duper awesome bag set; I'll feature it soon), and a Red linen dress....but its quite plain so I wont debut that one until I wear it...it NEEDS accessories....
But my most recent make, my dress is pretty, print-y, and wild!....my kinda way you know?....I just grabbed this fabric the other day at my favorite place (Hancock's Fabrics) and its already a dress!...I hardly ever do that; I just mostly buy fabric for my stash....When I get ready to sew something I just take to my stash and choose from there....Chances are if I buy and use fabric right away its because I ran out mid-project and had no choice....but this go 'round there was no stash time for this piece....
I went thrifting the other day (the postop pain cut my visit quite short but it was worth it) and grabbed a few old school patterns....one of them was a "Quick" Butterick pattern by the number of 6314....I made View A and cut the largest size; the 10....I can only imagine that a sewing woman must have felt good about herself back in the day cause I do NOT wear a 10 in anything in real life..that's a small number in terms of clothing these days.....I chose View A; it only used 4 of the 5 pattern pieces to be sprung to life....the fifth piece is a ruffle used to whip up View B....I'll fix up one of those when the mood strikes....
I learned a new technique with this pattern...it called a "stay"....the pattern called for two; one for the front and one for the back both centered....How I describe it is like its a more reinforced stay stitch....the fabric anchored the gathers very well although I probably should've used a cotton instead of the same knit as my dress....it worked out though and I got the point....I may add them to other dresses because the technique is awesome!.....
Since I used yet another cool knit I calmed my anxiety of not being able to wait for anything and let it hang overnight to make sure the hem would be even....that's one of the few sewing rules I do follow as I don't really follow many.....I'm more of freestyle kinda gal you know?....I follow patterns but I usually end up doing things my own way....My arm and neck hole bindings could have been better though....I unpicked them three times; the left one twice and the right one once....it still ended up looking shi*ty IMO but I left it after all that....I was NOT about to get irritated with my super cool new dress....not at all, not today....
There's a special place in my soul for the old school patterns....They remind me of my self; straight forward while being clear and simple allowing super cool results!....This one is from the 80's, not sure of the exact year.....Well let me quit all this rambling and show off my new dress!....Who else has been burning the midnight oil sewing up stuff?....By all means show me! LOL
~~MsKRS~~

the beginning.....

up close and personal with my new lovebug pattern.....

Full frontal of my new dress!...my 80's shirt in the background awaiting buttons....the ones I want to use are shank and I just aint in the mood...I will though; I will....


Side shot....

the back....man I need a new camera smdh.....

another side view; the other side view that is....


Yasssssss...the COOLNESS is just right....I can dig it....

No comments:

Post a Comment