Thursday, August 22, 2013

Thrifty finds = Pretties

Good evening good people!....I, of course have been sewing and along with a little craftiness...The other day I was thinking about how much I love the off-the-shoulder tops so I decided to look them up online to get some ideas on how to whip one up...when I typed in "off-the-shoulder top" the world "dolman" came up...now any and every time I see and/or hear something that I've never heard before I must educate myself on what that something is...so I set out to find out what a dolman shirt was....Come to find out it was just a fancy name for an "off-the-shoulder" top or kimono sleeve type top...Another useless fact?  Maybe, but at least I know what that word is now...further research on the name itself may or may not manifest later...lol!...
So anyway, I went into my sewing room and got to work...I had tie-dye on the brain too so I decided to combine my want for a new top with my need to dye something...I tie-dyed one of the endless t-shirts my huny so generously donates to me after only a couple wears and measured it up...I used my fashion design ruler again; I swear every time I use it I feel like I really know what I'm doing...hell, maybe I do because it came out super cute...I got compliments on it the entire day I wore it....I love your top!, That's a cool shirt!, Did you make it or buy it?, were some of the comments I received while proudly styling my newly refashioned tee....
I also took a recent trip to the thrift store and of course scored some super cool sewing stuff...I got 4 patterns for only a dollar!!!!!...and with me being on a "top" marathon lately I decided to make a top that pair with a maxi skirt I whipped up a few weeks ago...I went to my trusty stash and grabbed a bright and beautiful Cobalt blue pique fabric I just bought recently from Hancock's....I made view C but I modified it quite a bit....I didn't AT ALL want the loop embellishment that the pattern called for so I made mine with a center seam down the middle of the front...the back has a cool pleat that is just so darling IMO...I also used Red thread for contrast...I know I will be making this top again, its just one of those tops that will look cute with so many fabrics and prints.....andddddddddd my snazzy new shirt cost me less than $3 dollars to make!...Another thrift store score!!!!!...Well I will show the photos now....brace yourselves; they are cayute!...(wink-wink)
~~MsKRS~~
Tie-dyed Dolman shirt...who knew a plain White tee had this much potential?

I tried to show the center seam down the middle...Pink Cookie is such a skinny arse things just hang on her...LOL



 Super cool neckline and contrast thread huh?....;)






Side view...so scallop-y....hehehehe

 Tried to show the back pleat a little...its nicer than this picture...maybe it'll come out better when I wear it...

My "new" top pattern!...see it marked for 25 cents?  I loves and loves me a thrift store, I promise you I do.....McCall's patterns have been cool for quite some time and constantly getting cooler; they come together so easily...now did you see those unattractive loops?...yeah, ummmm no, just no...but the back pleat is just do darned cute....I initially  thought it was 4 views...the back of View C is what made me want to whip it up in the first place...but when I looked for the front of View C I noticed it was the one with the loops...smh...thank the heavens for sewing skills to modify because those loops are too loopy for me! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment