Sunday, August 31, 2014

"Easy" never is, well patterns that is and some other stuff.....

First of all Good Evening everybody! I'm still around and been sewing away too....but I just have so not felt like taking any pictures!....sometimes I just get that way....Even my pictures for this post are kinda forced because I was so damned hungry when I took them....not complaining; just saying....right after I took 'em though I went to have some eats and fast! (Mexican food)....
How has everyone been?....Good, good I hope....
Now this post is about a McCall's pattern again, and I must say again (if I haven't said it before) that the patterns labeled as "Easy" NEVER are....I learned that so early in the game and that sew fact just proves itself over and over....I don't know if its the pattern instructions that aren't clear or if its the pieces themselves...all I know is that the "easy" patterns require quite a bit more skills than they imply....
So about a month ago I decided to whip up McCall's 6955 View A....OMGosssshhh...the process of making this dress was crazy...First of all this dress was originally a UFO; so I should further explain why I just finished this dress a week ago after having it cut out and partially sewn for a month or so....I didn't know it needed more than the usual amount of fabric I always buy which is 2 1/2 yards....now if I know what I'm making ahead of time I grab more if I need to but I really didn't realize this dress was going to take almost 6 1/2 yards!...I went to Hancock's three times for this dress and I still had to go to my stash for the hem band (its a dark navy wash stretch denim I'd been hoarding)...resorted to my stash for part of the lining too....I made a Navy blue sash to match (I didn't wear it with the dress today)the yard of fabric I grabbed after work one day thinking it would be enough to finish the dress; ummm no....only after I went ahead and started sewing it up did I understand why it needed so much fabric....its essentially a circle skirt with a lined bodice attached with a hem band....okay, pattern yardage forgiven and I LOVE the flounce....the back of the dress is super cute too; kinda drawn in....I used a super cool vintage zipper for the back too...this dress ended up being pretty awesome for all the trouble and I really do dig the lil' floral lovely....Sewing is like that sometimes...
Another little milestone in my sewing life is that I bought my first Burda Style magazine...I've never sewn with a Burda pattern before (they look quite daunting) and of course I grabbed the new Fall Sew Stylish....Burda mag has 20 full sized patterns enclosed and Sew Stylish is introducing ideas for sewing with Fall knits...Well let me share my piccies now because I'm rambling like I always tend to do and I really wanna read my mags hehehehehe!..
P.S. I just got a new sewing related tattoo (remember I said I was going to?) a week ago but I'll save that for the next post...and National Sewing Month starts tomorrow...what's on the machine y'all? 
~~MsKRS~~

the beginning...right before I did the most dreaded part of sewing IMO..cutting the damned pattern pieces out and reading the unclear instructions for little to no avail...blahhhhh

my vintage Talon zipper I used for this dress....I got this on one of my thrifting trips....I love em so much I don't even like using 'em but when I do the outcome is always good!...yayyy me amiright?!?! (SMILE) 

side view; you can kinda see my new ink but I didn't take a close up (shrugs shoulders) I will though...

Back shot....back of the dress totally cute huh?....My favorite part of the dress; and the shoulder straps (I added a lil' MsKRS flair to 'em)....

See all the fabric?....geez....but provides for plenty of flounce to the ounce though! LOL! gotta love it....

they say Summer is going away soon we know not just yet...and its still 100 + degrees 'round these parts; thus my Pumpkin-colored mani/pedi...Us ladies in this little corner of the world can rock sundresses for at least another month or so....California Sun!!!!! 


Sewing girl information.....

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blog about this pattern Christy! Your dress is gorgeous! I was hoping it was a circle skirt and hoping it was EASY! Now I know to expect a little more effort than I might think from easy, so thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem Elisabeth and thank you very much....those "easy" patterns will confuse the beejeebees outta ya!....especially this one....thank you for visiting and your comment...come see me again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete